- Biggest names in show business get ready for one of Hollywood’s biggest nights
- Winners are only known to three EY professionals before the show
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 3, 2017 — EY is kicking off the New Year by tabulating the votes for one of Hollywood’s most prestigious award shows: the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Golden Globe Awards®. For the 44th consecutive year, EY is overseeing the voting process for the awards, which honors the best in TV and film. Only three EY professionals will know the results in advance of the ceremony, which they will personally carry down the red carpet in briefcases handcuffed to their wrists.
The 74th annual Golden Globe Awards will be telecast live on NBC Sunday, January 8, 2017, 5 p.m. PST/8 p.m. EST from The Beverly Hilton, Beverly Hills, California. “The Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon will emcee the show.
Andy Sale, Senior Partner and Greater Los Angeles Advisory Services Leader, Ernst & Young LLP, says:
“EY first began working with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association on the 1973 Golden Globe Awards when ‘The Godfather’ won for best picture, ‘All in the Family’ was the best comedy series and Liza Minelli won best actress for ‘Cabaret.’ Every year since then, we have gone to extreme lengths to protect the accuracy, security and integrity of the awards. During the past 44 years, we’ve remained committed to protecting the legacy of the Golden Globe Awards as one of the most prominent and well-respected symbols for excellence in motion pictures and television.”
EY oversees the entire balloting process for the Golden Globe Awards including:
- Confirming and qualifying all voter credentials to certify that they meet the current standards of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association
- Overseeing the entire ballot gathering and tabulation process for both the nominations and final voting
- Triple-checking the results to eliminate any margin of error
- Assembling and maintaining exclusive control over winners’ envelopes until moments before each celebrity presenter appears onstage
John Nendick, EY Global Media & Entertainment Leader, adds:
“It’s an exciting time to be in this business. The emergence of new technologies and distribution channels is quickly transforming the landscape of media and entertainment, creating fresh opportunities for original types of content and exceptional entertainment experiences. We look forward to celebrating all types of talent, creativity and innovation at this year’s Golden Globe Awards.”